This is entry level, just not as you know it!
Sony has gone heavy in stating that this is an entry-level full frame camera from them. This camera will cause you, and indeed the whole photo industry to redefine what entry-level means.
We were lucky enough to get hands on and spend some time using the new A7III at the Sony European launch event and I am pleased to say Sony have developed what we consider to be the ultimate full-frame all-rounder.
We had the chance to shoot a variety of scenarios, from a first dance at a wedding, a selection of cakes on a table and a model in a studio situation. The A7III handled each of these tasks with ease.
Starting with the body, it is immediately obvious when you pick it up that the same magic pixie dust Sony sprinkled over the A9 and A7RIII has been liberally shook all over the workshop as this thing is solid. It has a deeper body profile, and the buttons all feel very positive in use including the excellent joystick we first saw on the A9.
The body is deep because fortunately, the A7III shares the Z series battery from the A9 and A7RIII giving the A7III the greatest battery longevity of any mirrorless camera with over 700 shots on a full charge! We spent an hour scrolling through menus, shooting with strobes, doing close up macro photos and shooting 4K video and the battery only dropped 6%: impressive.
Next up, the AF system. Once again we were impressed with speed and accuracy of tracking a moving subject. The 693 AF points covering most of the sensor meant missing focus wasn’t an issue. Then we jumped into video and the AF once again seemed to keep up without difficulty.
On that subject the video looks fantastic and obviously included all of Sony’s excellent Picture Profiles, including Slog2 and Slog3 for professional level videography.
Needless to say, we are very impressed. Remember, Sony are labelling this as their entry level full frame camera and to be honest, it seems to us this is streets ahead.
Please watch our YouTube video to check out our thoughts and see some samples. The Sony A7III is available to pre-order now with just £100 deposit. Units are expected to begin shipping 14th March with an RRP of £2000.
Full-Frame Mirrorless camera with 24.2MP high-resolution, 10fps continuous shooting, ultra-fast and precise AF performance and 4K HDR movie recording in a compact body
- Newly developed Full-Frame 24.2 MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing and 5-axis in-body image stabilisation
- 4D FOCUS system with 693 phase-detection AF points covering 93% of image area, with approx. 2x faster autofocus speed and tracking capability than A7M2
- Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps with either Silent Shooting or Mechanical Shutter, with a large buffer up to 177 images in JPEG
- High Resolution 4K Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning from 6K oversampling. S-Log3 and HLG for HDR movie recording
- Professional operability with stamina up to 710 shots with a Z battery, dual media slot compatible with UHS-II SD card and USB 3.1 Type-C port