Nikon has upgraded the D5300 with the D5500, which is the first DX-format model to feature a vari-angle touchscreen. The slimmer, lighter model also features built-in Wi-Fi connectivity alongside a full specification, which includes a 24.2 megapixel resolution, 39 point AF system and ISO sensitivity up to 25,600.
Pricing and release date information to follow shortly. For full details on the new model, take a look at the official press release below:
D5500 Summary Overview
Do your world justice and capture your best images yet with the D5500. Lightweight and powerful, this slimline D-SLR with familiar touchscreen operation frees you to do more with your photography. From fast movement to challenging low-light situations, the D5500 doesn’t disappoint. Even when printed large or shown on a big screen, your photos and movies will be crystal-clear reflections of the way you see the world. The responsive Vari-angle touchscreen offers intuitive operation, and built-in Wi-Fi makes it simple to share your high-quality photos via a smart device. Exceptionally portable and incredibly comfortable to handle, this D-SLR puts perfection within your reach.
Inspiring image quality
Leave image-blur behind and enjoy vibrant, richly detailed images. From fast movement to low-light situations, your shots never looked this good.
Control your camera like a smartphone. Flip, tilt or rotate the touchscreen to compose shots from exciting angles, and then tap to focus and shoot.
Built in Wi-Fi
Your smart device will be one of your favourite camera accessories. Use the built-in Wi-Fi function to easily share impressive photos via a compatible smartphone or tablet.¹
Curve your fingers around the deep grip and you won’t want to put this camera down. Combined with its lightweight, slim-line body, the D5500 is all about comfort.
Superior light sensitivity
Shoot brilliant photos and movies even when the light is scarce. With an ISO range of 100–25600, you’ll achieve crisp, clean images more often than ever before.
Summary of Key Features
• Incredible image quality: 24.2-megapixel DX-format sensor with no OLPF
• Superior low-light performance: ISO 100–25,600
• Vari-angle monitor: large 8.1-cm (3.2-in.) LCD with wide-viewing angle and high 1,037k-dot resolution
• Responsive touchscreen: tap to focus and shoot, or adjust settings such as aperture, ISO, and shutter speed
• Touch Fn function: quickly adjust key settings with a finger swipe when shooting through the viewfinder
• Built in Wi-Fi: easily share impressive photos via a compatible smartphone or tablet
• Streamlined design: monocoque structure and a deep grip. Approx. 124×97×70 mm, this camera weighs just 420 g (without battery and memory card)
• 39-point AF system: with nine cross-type sensors in the centre
• Improved contrast-detect AF: 20% faster than the D5300 when shooting in Live View
• Fast and powerful EXPEED 4 image processing engine
• Up to 5 fps continuous shooting
• Full HD movies: at 1080/50/60p and Full HD/60p output supported
• Picture Control 2.0: invaluable tools for shooting photos and movies just the way you want. Includes the new Flat setting for maximum dynamic range
• Built-in stereo microphone: and compatibility with Nikon’s ME-1 Stereo Microphone
• Viewfinder: approx. 95% frame coverage with approx. 0.82x magnification
• 10 special effects for still images and movies
• 16 Scene Modes
• Creative tools: retouch menu, bracketing functions, HDR photography, interval timer shooting, vignette control
• Expandable system: Compatible with the full range of NIKKOR DX-format lenses and specific Nikon Speedlights
• Compatible with the WR-R10/WR-T10 Wireless Remote Controllers